Wednesday, April 22, 2015

THE HARDEST WORKING FOLKS IN NONCOM MEDIA: JOE RICHMAN & "RADIO DIARIES"


I am in awe of Joe Richman and RADIO DIARIES [LINK]. For years they have brought me (and probably you) actual Driveway Moments. RADIO DIARIES segments on ATC are trips through place and time. I still get chills when I think of the first time I heard Strange Fruit: Voices of a Lynching [LINK] while waiting in line at the auto bank.



Not only is Richman & company providing consistent high quality audio storytelling, they are prolific.  They remind me a little of the Beatles – the hits just keep on coming.  And so does the praise:

• AUDIE AWARD NOMINEE: MANDELA: AN AUDIO HISTORY [LINK]



The Audie Awards are the Oscars of the audiobook and spoken word industries. The Audio Publishers Association (APA) sponsors the annual contest.  Winners will be announced May 28, 2015 in New York.

• FEATURED PRESENTERS AT BOSTON’S BAM RADIO LOVE FEST

THE MOTH and RADIO DIARIES present Don’t Look Back: Stories of the Teenage Years May 6, 2015 at the BAM Harvey Theater [LINK]. Two diarists will appear live with Molly Ringwald.  I would do anything to be there.

SUCCESS COMES FROM SMART SUSTAINABILITY       

An important part of RADIO DIARIES is their ability to ride the tides of foundation funding.  It is like living on a financial roller coaster.  As a free agent, I live that way too – it is not for the faint-of-heart.

I reviewed the 2013 IRS 990 for RADIO DIARIES. In 2013 revenue was around a quarter of million bucks.  Nobody is getting rich but people are getting fairly paid.  Almost all of the revenue goes for the work, not fundraising promotions. 

RADIO DIARIES is expanding their podcast services while keeping visible to public radio fans via The Moth and ATC. These folks make me glad I work in public radio.
JOE RICHMAN • KEEPER OF THE AUDIO FLAME

No comments:

Post a Comment