Thursday, March 2, 2017

PRAISE FOR LYNNE ROSETTO KASPER • EX-WDCB ENGINEER WHO SCAMMED $400,000 PLEADS GUILTY


Left: Rosetto Kasper; Right: Francis Lam
Lynne Rossetto Kasper, host of The Splended Table, has announced [link] her retirement effective at the end of 2017. Her soothing voice has been advising listeners on cooking, cuisine and new recipes for 21 seasons

Her replacement is New York Times Eat columnist Francis Lam, who has been a contributor to the program since 2010. Lam will take over as the new host on March 10th

Rossetto Kasper is one of my favorite hosts. I will miss her enthusiasm and dry sense of humor. My favorite segment of The Splended Table is “what to do with five leftovers in your refrigerator.” The goal is to make something good using only the five ingredients.

As a sometime starving artist, I put her “make something with those leftovers” to work many times.  As I stare at my almost empty fridge, I wonder “what would Lynne do.”

Another reason I like Lynne’s work is that she is not a fine dining snob. Her motto seems to be “let’s make something extraordinary with ordinary ingredients.” As an amateur cook (my hobby) I have learned much from her.

Rosetto Kasper and Producer Sally Swift (Photo: Pioneer Press)
I played a small role in the start of The Splended Table. Back in 1996 when the program began, I was Director of News at Public Radio International (PRI). PRI, at that time still distributed MPR programs. 

Relations between PRI and MPR were strained and PRI was uncertain if they wanted to represent The Splended Table. 

At that time, PRI was distributing Zorba Paster on Your Health, a program with lots of food and recipes, so they could have said "no."

After I got to know Lynne and her producer Sally Swift, I knew this was an exceptional program.  I insisted to top PRI management that the network market and distribute The Splended Table, which they did.  PRI was associated with the program until PRI and MPR parted ways in 2000. I am glad I spoke up when I did. I am sure The Splended Table would have been a hit no matter who distributed it/

Rossetto Kasper told the St. Paul Pioneer-Press:

“Mind you, I've been lucky. I've have gotten to wear a lot of hats in the food world, but nothing has surpassed these two decades with The Splendid Table. I have had the best gig in the business.”

Best wishes and thank you, Lynne.  Now what can I do with these low mien noodles that stare at me every time I open the fridge.

WDCB SCAMMER JOHN VALENTA FACES SIX YEARS IN THE SLAMMER

John Valenta
Tom Taylor Now [link], reports that the former WDCB, Chicago engineer, John Valenta, who stole over $400,000 from the station will be sentenced to at least six years in jail. 

We last talked about Valenta in December [link] when he tried to justify his actions by implying he was entitled to the money because he deserved, and was denied, a full-time job.

Among his scams was creating a non-existent transmitter that constantly needed parts and lots of overtime by Valenta. Valenta plead guilty to felonies rather than have a jury trial. He faces a minimum of six years in prison. Sentencing will be May 19.

Dan Bindert, GM of WDCB, told Chicago Tribune columnist Robert Feder [link]:

“I’m pleased that this chapter in the station’s history is in the past…justice has been served.”

Bindert is the guy who blew the whistle on Valenta. Feder deserves credit for bringing the incident to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment