Friday, April 29, 2016

PRESENTING 61 ESSENTIAL PUBLIC RADIO TALK & INTERVIEW PROGRAMS – PLEASE HELP ME FIND MORE


THIS IS THE FIFTH OF A FIVE-PART SERIES ABOUT THE NEED FOR MORE PUBLIC RADIO TALK & INTERVIEW PROGRAMS

This week we have been taking a closer look at station-based talk and interview programs primarily on NPR News Stations. We believe this genre of programming has been (in some cases) an overlooked and misunderstood genre. Because these programs are often not given the respect they deserve, many stations have not pursued them.  This is a missed opportunity.  Done properly, local talk and interview programs can become  distinguishing brand attributes with powerful pitch points. They also generate originl content that can be used on all platforms.

The number of station-based talk and interview programs has dropped 37% between 2007 and 2015. In most cases these programs have been replaced by syndicated programming, particularly WBUR/NPR’s Here and Now or WNYC/PRI’s The Takeaway.

The loss of “local service” is obvious. Beyond that, stations lost an opportunity for in-the-moment live programming. The ability to be “live” instantly is one of radio’s best assets. It is also an essential part of the news mix because what happens on these programs can become news itself.

I have a received quite a few compliments but most people want to hear more specifics.  Before more station managers will embrace talk and interview they need to know specifics: How these programs perform in pledging, underwriting, ratings, etc. Most importantly, are they sustainable?

Finding this information is my next quest. Today I am sharing my list of talk and interview programs that air locally between the “tent poles,” typically 9am to 4pm. (Shows that air a minimum of three days per week are required to make my list.)

The charts below contain information about 61 talk and interview programs. I’m sure I haven’t included all of the programs, particularly new ones.  Some information may also be dated.  If you don’t see your program on the list, or if key info has changed, please let me know.  My email is publicradio@hotmail.com. Thank you.




If you don’t see your program on the list, or if key info has changed, please let me know.  My email is publicradio@hotmail.com. Thank you.

If you don’t see your program on the list, or if key info has changed, please let me know.  My email is publicradio@hotmail.com. Thank you.



 If you don’t see your program on the list, or if key info has changed, please let me know.  My email is publicradio@hotmail.com. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment