Wednesday, December 21, 2016

HOLIDAY PARTY PSA


NEW POSTS WILL RETURN

ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 3, 2017


The video below is a public service message about drinking and driving. The lesson of this video is:

When you think you are ready to drive, 
you might actually be above the legal level of intoxication.



VIDEO BACKSTORY:

This video is me on December 31, 1985 being “drunk on the air.” I was working at ths time at KTOQ, a Country music station in Rapid City, South Dakota. KTOQ was owned, in part, by NPR News anchor Tom Brokaw.

“Drunk on the air” is a frequent public service program used to demonstrate the danger of driving while impaired. KTOQ got a local liquor distributor to sponsor the event. City cops and state troopers were on hand to measure my blood alcohol content and have me perform various sobriety tests. I insisted on a large bottle of good scotch. After four hours, I have consumed 8.5 tall glasses of hootch.

KEVN-TV, then the local NBC affiliate, covered “drunk on the air” with a live broadcast during the 6:00pm news. Then the unexpected happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment