Tuesday, September 5, 2017

HOST COMMENTS ABOUT TRUMP ON KOSU LEAD TO CANCELLATION AND LISTENER OUTRAGE




KOSU, Stillwater, Oklahoma takes pride in Oklahoma music. The dual-format station offers ample helpings of Americana, rockabilly and alternative rock music. However, one of KOSU’s signature programs – For the Sake of the Song – is now missing from the schedule.


The show was cancelled after host Greg Johnson commented on the August 19th program about President Donald Trump. 

His one sentence rant – Trump has got to go – led to the immediate cancellation of For the Sake of the Song. 

Now fans of the program have taken to social media to protest what they consider to be KOSU’s hasty, cover-your-ass, response.

Greg Johnson
Greg Johnson had been an important ally for KOSU. For over 25-years, Johnson has owned The Blue Door, a popular music venue in downtown OKC. He had hosted For the Sake of the Song on KOSU since 2014. 

The program celebrated the craft of songwriting, featuring contemporary folk and Americana artists. Guests have included Jimmy Webb and Harry Nilsson.

Having a visible presence in downtown OKC is important for KOSU. The station originates some of its programming from the heart of the city. 

KOSU competes head-to-head with KGOU from nearby Norman for bragging rights and revenue from the state’s largest market.

KOSU’s abrupt exit from the partnership was lightning swift. Johnson was told without warning the day after he made his on-air comment. According to a report in the Daily O'Collegian [link], KOSU’s station director, Kelly Burley, posted this statement regarding Johnson’s firing on the KOSU website:

“We recognize the discord in our current political climate, but we are dedicated to reporting facts in our news coverage and providing a haven of respite in our entertainment coverage. Careless words could affect KOSU’s ability to keep its license as a non-commercial broadcaster.”

Johnson told local media that his comment about Trump should have not been a surprise:

“I’ve been very outspoken about this president and the threat he presents to our democracy. I say ‘resist’ at the end of every show; I’ve done this since inauguration day.”

KOSU underwriting promo
Fans of For the Sake of the Song see the cancellation as a chilling act of censorship. Comments appeared quickly on KOSU’s Facebook site as well as other social media pages.

Listener Mary Battiata wrote on Facebook:

“I loved listening to "For the Sake of the Song," and KOSU in general. As a longtime NPR listener and fan of Oklahoma generally, I was startled to hear that the show has been taken off the air because the hosthas been critical of our current president. I hope you will revisit this decision and reinstate the show. I know I won't be back to listen until you do.”

Another listener, KC Moon, wrote:

“Great stations are built around freedom of expression. Please bring Greg's show back. Sounds like a warning will do, and he would let the songs do the speaking in the future. For the sake of the songs, please do the right thing here.”

SPARK NEWS RETURNS

Frequent readers of this blog know that my reporting is a part time effort. I do full time consulting for various clients to pay the bills. 

I publish this blog because I hope public media, and public radio in particular, can continue to bring trustworthy, noncommercial information and ideas to America. This blog is one way to make a difference.

In mid August I added a major new client and needed to clear my desktop to begin my work for them. So I took a couple of week’s off from blogging.

I did take the time to refresh the site, including these changes:

• I know that lots of readers stop by for the latest ratings information. I am now using a separate page so that Nielsen Audio data will be easier to access.  Look for the tab “Nielsen Noncom Ratings” on the right side of the page. 

• I’ve switched my blog name from SPARK! to Spark News. To me, Spark News, sounds more active and lyrical.

• I deleted the picture of me that was in masthead.  I was tired of looking at it and thought you probably were too.

• I revised, and hopefully simplified, the page navigation and appearance. As always, I appreciate your comments.  You can email me at publicradio at Hotmail.com.

I hope you like the changes!



No comments:

Post a Comment