Monday, September 25, 2017

20 NPR NEWS/TALK STATIONS ARE LEADING HERITAGE COMMERCIAL STATIONS IN PPM WEEKLY LISTENERS • REMEMBERING GARY FRIES


Dave Becker
A couple of days ago I got an email from Dave Becker, Director of Programming at Nevada Public Radio in Las Vegas.  Dave and I chat every once in awhile about media trends and I know reads this blog for the latest Nielsen Audio estimates.

Dave has been watching the unprecedented success of NPR news/talk stations in the past couple of years. In his email to me, Dave pointed out something from the August PPM sweeps that I hadn’t noticed:

“In combing through August Nielsen numbers a couple of weeks back, I got curious about recent news/talk station ratings. I did a little checking and discovered that in the almost-50 PPM markets, the top-ranked news/talk station in 20 of them is the NPR affiliate.

"The usual suspects are in there – San Francisco; WAMU, Washington, Seattle, San Diego, Portland, Austin, Raleigh-Durham.  But now there are several markets where the NPR news/talk station is now topping legendary commercial news/talk stations such as in Denver, the Twin Cities, Nashville, Baltimore and Dallas.

"Plus, there were a few surprises in markets where news/talk doesn’t generally fare that well. In the August numbers,  the NPR affiliate is now the top news/talk station in Miami, Riverside...and Las Vegas.

"I’m pretty certain that a generation ago none of these stations would have been anywhere near this position."

(The full list of the twenty markets where this is the case are: San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, Miami, Seattle (two stations), the Twin Cities, San Diego, Denver, Baltimore, Portland, Charlotte, Riverside, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Austin, San Jose, Raleigh, Nashville, Greensboro and Hartford.)

I told Dave I have a theory about what is causing this trend. First, NPR News sounds better than ever. Plus, it seems like the NPR news/talk stations are adding listeners, even though PUR/PUMM is falling a bit each year. The NPR news/talk stations are attracting higher cume at the when the “listener lake” is getting smaller. I think the old-line commercial news/talkers are going in the other direction – when PUR/PUMM slides they do to. Caveat: I don't have enough access to Nielsen data to prove this theory but this the way I see it.

Dave is correct when he said that a generation ago none of these stations would have been beating commercial radio news/talk giants. But it is happening now.

I happened to have the Arbitron numbers for Fall 2000 handy and I decided to compare the estimated weekly listeners in Fall 2000 with the August 2017 PPM numbers.

The chart on the right is what I observed. I had Fall 2000 data from 12 of Dave’s 20 markets.  Keep in mind Arbitron was using Diary methodology in 2000, so this comparison is “oranges and nectarines.”

The amazing growth of weekly cume clearly shows that NPR news/talk stations are drawing new listeners in record numbers, even as the number of competitive news choices has mushroomed.

THE DEATH OF A GREAT LEADER: GARY FRIES

Gary Fries
You may have seen the story in the radio trade press about the death of Gary Fries, the beloved former head of the Radio Advertising Bureau (RAB).  I knew Gary from Transtar Radio Network, an upstart, wildly successful new media venture: Satellite-delivered radio formats.

The truth about Transtar was that Gary Fries made the business happen.  Transtar’s owners had important skills.  Bill Moyes was the go-to researcher who practically invented music research. C. T. “Terry” Robinson had connections to folks with money and he could sing The Eve of Destruction like he was channeling Barry McGuire.

But Gary Fries new how radio stations operated and what station owners needed, a perspective Moyes and Robinson didn’t have. Fries was known and respected by corporate directors and small-market GMs.

Perhaps most importantly, Gary Fries was a leader. In a biz where there are a lot of showboats and big-talkers, Fries was truly the real deal. He was loyal to the people on his team.  He loved to teach newbies like me.  He was so driven that he sometimes scared the shit out of me.

Fries used to give me a hard time about my attraction to public radio. But he was the guy who pulled the strings that helped me get the job as GM at KCSN in LA. At the time, that was the biggest break of my career.

Maybe ten years ago Gary called me out-of-the-blue one day.  He had seen my name in Radio & Records for something I was doing. He told me:

“Ken, that public radio thing is working well for you and I am so pleased with your success. You were one of the best sales people we had at Transtar and I don’t know if I ever said thanks.”

Thank you, Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment